Friday, June 27, 2008

Brad Holt Unhittable In First Coney Island Start…

Danny Wild, of www.mlb.com, reports that first-round pick Brad Holt did not disappoint Mets fans in his Coney Island debut. Holt (1-1) tossed five hitless innings for his first professional win and rehabbing Ryan Church went 3-for-3 as the Brooklyn Cyclones beat the visiting Aberdeen IronBirds on Thursday, 4-2.

"I felt good, after the first it was all up and down, I felt fine," Holt said of the stint. "My breaking ball was good, everything was working."

The 33rd overall pick earlier this month, Holt struck out six and walked one in his second career appearance. He faced 17 batters and induced six grounders and three fly balls in his home debut.

"I used a little bit of everything," he said. "Fastballs down, in and out, both sides of the plate. I showed changeups every now and then. I threw a couple breaking balls, but, basically it was the same [as in college]. I just keep attacking with the fastball."

The Albermarle, N.C. native went 11-1 with a 3.18 ERA at UNC-Wilmington before he was scooped up by New York in the first round. The Mets were awarded two compensatory picks when the Braves signed Tom Glavine over the offseason, and Holt was selected after the club drafted current Cyclones teammates Isaac Davis (18th overall) and Reese Havens (22nd overall).

Holt said he was excited to join a team with big prospects, never mind a Major Leaguer.

"It makes it a little bit more exciting," Holt said of playing alongside Church, who was batting .300 with 10 homers and 35 RBIs for the Mets before hitting the DL. "It was cool to have him here. He's a cool guy, I talked to him before the game. He had a great night tonight, and whenever you have have those guys behind you, it makes it easier. Everybody had a great night."

Holt, meanwhile, was soaking in his first win as a Mets farmhand.

"I'd heard a lot of good things about [the Mets]," he said. "They run everything the way it should be done, so yeah, I was excited to be drafted by them, I've heard nothing but good things."

Holt said he'd been hoping to join the Mets all along.

"I knew a couple clubs had interest in me, but I wasn't getting my hopes up," he said. "I knew the Mets had interest at that pick -- I read stuff online -- but whenever it came to that point [in the Draft], I know there were a lot of quality arms. At first, I didn't think it would happen."

The right-hander's unhittable effort comes four days after he allowed two runs on two hits and a walk in 2 1/3 innings for the loss in his professional debut at Aberdeen on June 21.

Church, on the 15-Day disabled list with a concussion since June 6, went 3-for-3 in his first rehab game. He singled through the left side in the first, lined an RBI double to right and scored in the third and singled in the fifth before leaving for a pinch-runner. The Mets had been hopeful Church would be ready for their weekend series with the Yankees.

Davis made his professional debut and went 1-for-4 with a leadoff double and a run in the second. Havens is on the roster, but has yet to see action with Brooklyn.

(It’s exciting to see Holt do well. Many have written about the Mets’ lack of prospects before this year’s draft. If this year’s picks can improve the Mets’ barren farm system, that will improve the Mets for years to come.)

No comments: