Tuesday, February 17, 2009

A Fan's Fond Memory










While watching MLB Network's Hot Stove report tonight, they had a segment at the end of the program stating that tomorrow will most likely be the last day of Shea Stadium. It should be totally gone by the end of tomorrow...

I have been preparing for this day for two years, but now that it's here, I must admit, I feel a bit saddened. As I have always stated, Shea is a toilet, but it is my toilet. I have been seeing games at Shea since June 1, 1975 - my first game. My last game... September 17, 2008.

Although I am looking forward to the opening of Gil Hodges Memorial Park, I will miss Shea. I have spent a lot of times there over the last 33 1/2 years...many bad games, some exhilirating games.

I was fortunate to be at Darryl Strawberry's first game at Shea, Gary Carter's first game as a Met, Game 6 of the 2006 NLCS, as well as seeing such Met greats pitch as: Randy Tate, Mickey Lolich, Jackson Todd, Geremi Gonzales - and other's: Tom Seaver, Dwight Gooden, Ron Darling, Jerry Koosman...

I also saw Fernando Valenzuela pitch at Shea in 1981; Juaquin Andujar (with the Cards). I witnessed Dave Kingman set the all time Met record for HR's in a season...27.

Speaking of 27, I also was there to see Craig Swan pitch.

I had the pleasure of sitting in the K corner circa 1987.

To list all the memories would take pages and hours to compose. I can remember being one of 3,000 fans at Shea in the miserable mid 70's. I have seen it all, and like a loved one, you must let go. So tonight I send my final farewell to Shea, considered a toilet by most, considered MY TOILET, MY HOME - by me, metsfan73.

RIP Shea, you will be missed.

2 comments:

Long Island Met Fan said...

My first game was aug 74 against the dodgers. i sat through dh's when the mets of the late 70's were really bad. I saw the Mets clinch the 86 division against the cubs. The NLCS game when dykstra hit his homer. 2006 NLCS game 7 against the cards. The last 2 games this past September 27th and 28th. I grew up at Shea and will always remember it has the first park I watched the game I fell in love with . Goodbye ole friend!

metsfan73 said...

My sentiments exactly.

Nice comment.