Monday, September 29, 2008

Talk Me In Off The Ledge!




I have been trying for over 24 hours to come to grips with yesterday's debacle. Needless to say, I am not doing very well.



I was fortunate to be at game 6 of the NLCS in 2006, only to watch Yadier Molina destroy our dreams with one swing connecting to an ill-advised change-up in game 7. All this after the greatest catch I have ever seen. Not only was Endy's catch miraculous, he also had the presence of mind to launch a perfect throw to DelGado at 1B to complete the double play. As we all know, it was all for naught.


Then 2007. We all know, seven game lead with 17 left to play. I can honestly say I wasn't all that surprised of the ending. I was very uncomfortable with the complacency of the 2007 team, starting with their manager, Willie Gump Randolph. What hurt more than the “collapse” was that John Maine pitched a beautiful ball game en route to a 13-0 Mets victory in game 6. Then Tom Titanic Glavine decided that his pending free agency was more important than the Mets fortunes. I knew as soon as Maine pitched the Gem, I was speaking to firewillie, buildthefarmsystem, and metandmusicfan (all one and the same) about how the Mets were going to crumble because Glavine was no big game pitcher. Damned if I wasn't right!

That lead to this year. 1973 hurt, 1988 hurt a little more, 2006 hurt as much, if not more than 1988, then 2008...this hurt is more than last year for a multitude of reasons:


  • Three years in a row is too much

  • All the chances they had to put the division away, and didn't

  • Losing for the third straight year...AT HOME

  • Losing for the third straight year to teams we should have manhandled

  • Losing for the second year to the Marlins. I think I hate them more than the Braves now

  • Not being able to put teams away.

After the final out yesterday, watching from a Nassau County Applebees, because I was unable to view this debacle from the comforts of my throne in my living room, my wonderful wife of more than 15 years knew to stay away from me. Later, after my frustration was reduced to the point of insanity, she apologized. Why, you didn't do it? She understands how much it hurt.

I'm still hurting. I don't know any better way of explaining it other than to quote Sting and the Police:



There's a little black spot on the sun today
It's the same old thing as yesterday
There's a black hat caught in a high tree top
There's a flag pole rag and the wind won't stop
I have stood here before inside the pouring rain
With the world turning circles running 'round my brain
I guess I'm always hoping that you'll end this reign
But it's my destiny to be the king of pain
~
The Police ~



Talk me in folks...I'm on the ledge!

2 comments:

Long Island Met Fan said...

Well at least the Marlins wont have the opportunity next year.

3 years is quite painful especially since this year the Mets found new ways to lose in the most ridiculous fashion . A lead off triple and we can not get a sacrifice fly.

metsfan73 said...

"It's my desitny to be the king of pain..."