Saturday, June 28, 2008

My Guy, Carlos Delgado…

SNY has a terrific show, “Loud Mouths,” starring Adam Schein and Chris Carlin, in which one of their segments is “My Guy, My Goat” containing their positive and negative person of the day.

For game one of yesterday’s doubleheader, there were many who were great subplots, but, numero uno, “My Guy” was Carlos Delgado, who was 3 for 5, with 2 runs scored, both on home runs, a 3-run shot, and a grand slam. Delgado also hit a 2-run double. That added up to a career high nine R.B.I.’s, which was also a Mets’ record, and it tied the all-time record for most R.B.I.’s by a visiting player, in the long, storied era of Yankee Stadium.

Delgado now has 13 HR’s, 44 RBI’s, and is on a pace for 26-27 HR’s, and 90 R.B.I.’s. For everyone screaming for Delgado to be released, or for the Andy Phillips, Damion Easley, Fernando Tatis, or Marlon Anderson’s of this world to play more first base, I ask you, who else is going to provide 26-27 HR’s, and 90 R.B.I.’s. And, these HR’s and RBI’s were important parts of a victory, and not in garbage time.

For game one of yesterday’s doubleheader, my guy, Carlos Delgado…

1 comment:

metsfan73 said...

Check history. The last good game DelGado had was game 2 at Yankee Stadium. Then he went into a month funk, which was preceded by a month's funk.
If DelGado can get meaningful hits, which other than playing the Yankees he hasn't done, then maybe some of the criticism will be muted.
He has been abysmal, and his stats are hollow. To quote Samuel Clemens, more commonly know as Mark Twain, "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics."
This wonderful offensive performance by DelStatue is nothing more than an aberration.