Wednesday, September 3, 2008

A Lot Of Defiance In This Kid


Jon Niese fulfilled his life long dream on Tuesday, he made his Major League debut. Although the outing will be less than memorable for Mets fans, it won't for Niese and his family.


Niese realizes his debut was less than stellar, but all the folks from his hometown of Defiance Ohio couldn't be more proud of the Defiance High School grad.

They remember Niese as this young, shy kid who had wonderful athletic ability. The fact that he made the majors in three short years, is truly amazing.

Niese was quoted as saying, "I was very nervous and I think that anyone who makes their major league debut would be as nervous as I was. I tried to keep it under control as best I could and I tried to battle out there the whole time. I don't know if what happened out there has hit me yet, but I can tell you, what I got to do tonight really is every kids' dream.

Niese continued.,"There's no words to describe what it means to me to have had this opportunity. When I think back about being a kid, this is what I dreamed about and tonight it came true."

Jon's parents were equally impressed and proud of their son, “To see Jon living his dream, I don't know if I've ever been that excited myself or that excited for him," said Jeff, Jon's father. "I told him afterward that I got to see him living the dream and living the dream can't really begin to describe what I'm thinking and feeling."

Added his mother Annette, "I'm just so proud of him ... I really don't know what to say. It's a dream come true for all of us, it was such a grand moment."

Niese concluded by saying, "It was a great experience and what made it even better was seeing my family and friends a lot of people from Defiance here to cheer me on. I can't tell you how many calls and text messages I've been getting the last few days. It's meant a lot to me and I don't know if I can say thank you enough to all the people who have been supporting me."

It is not yet known when Niese's next start will be, but nothing can change history...the Kid From Defiance got a start in The Show.

You can find out more about Jon Niese by reading The Crescent-News

No comments: