Saturday, November 29, 2008

“Red” Murff, Former Mets Scout, 87



Former Mets scout, John Robert "Red" Murff has died at the age of 87. Murff was the Met scout that discovered Hall Of Famer Nolan Ryan.



Ryan spoke of Murff in his Hall Of Fame induction speech: “He thought when he saw me at 6-foot-2 and 140 pounds, he wasn't discouraged by my build and by the way I threw the baseball as many other scouts were, and I appreciate the fact that Red spent so much time with me and worked to help me become a better pitcher. Thank you, Red."


As quoted from International Herald Tribune “Murff was inducted into the Texas Baseball Hall of Fame in 1989 and the Texas Scouts Association Hall of Fame in 1999. He helped start the baseball program at the University of Mary Hardin-Baylor in Belton, and in 1994 the school's ballpark was named Red Murff Field.”


Murff spent some time in the majors, playing for the Milwaukee Braves in 1956-1957. He 2-2 with three saves and a 4.65 ERA.

*** Updated 10:58 PM 11-29-08 ***
Red Murff also drafted Jerry Grote, Ken Boswell, Ron Taylor - all who played on the 1969 Champion Mets.

No comments: