Monday, November 10, 2008

Still Clueless After All These Years...




In today's NY Post, Justin Terranova reports how Gary Carter was introduced today as manager of the Long Island Ducks. Carter, the Hall Of Fame catcher who played for the 1986 World Champion Mets, has had his share of stupid moments, the most recent occuring this summer.

At the press conference today, all the talk was about this summers scandal of Carter informing Mets PR Guru Jay Horwitz of his "availability".

Today Carter said, "I learned that things can be taken out of context, there was no intention whatsoever to undermine anybody. I was asked a question if I would be interested, and of course I would be interested because that's where my passion is. If it's not with the Mets, I would like it to be with somebody else. I was asked a simple question and I've always worn my heart on my sleeve and that's the way I answered it and unfortunately I got thrown under the bus for it.

"That's the way it works. I learned from it."

I doubt it. Gary, your own lack of common sense threw you under the bus, not the interviewers of a radio station. No one made you speak. You, as usual, offered your thoughts, most likely un-provoked.

Carter seems to believe that managing the Ducks might be his ticket to the major leagues, saying, "The Atlantic League (which the Ducks play in) is one of the better known independent leagues, and if I do here what I am expected to do, then maybe a major-league team or an affiliate might catch on the same way."

Ever self-promoting, Carter goes on to say, "If you've won two championships in a row and played for a championship a third year, I would think that would open up some eyes, especially being a Hall of Famer, too. Obviously that hasn't happened, so maybe coming here and winning another championship, maybe that would open up some eyes."

Carter, after retiring has been suffering from a condition know as Diarrhea Of The Mouth , but with common sense and therapy, should go on to lead a long life.

1 comment:

Long Island Met Fan said...

Gary Carter is so full of himself its ridiculous. The ducks are a great organization and the best things he can do for the ducks is just not to speak. Which of course hewill flap his gums and it will be Carters downfall since he never realizes its not about self promotion.