Saturday, February 21, 2009

The Focus Of A Young Player


Daniel Murphy has been considered a real 'work horse', someone who not only studies the game, but puts personal stats aside to help the team.


It's easy to prove this point; Murphy was originally drafted by the Mets as a third baseman, but with David Wright having that position locked up for years to come, Murphy switched to second base. When called up to the Mets late last year, he never got a sniff at second, and was put in LF to, at first, platoon with Fernando Tatis, who were filling in for an injured Moises Alou and an injured Angel Pagan.

When asked about which position he sees himself playing, Murphy says, "My thought has always been I'll play wherever they want me."

Murphy is humble. When asked about his quick progression through the ranks of the Mets farm system, moving from AA to the pros last season, Murphy replies, "Any success I had last year can be attributed to this organization and the coaching staff and players that welcomed me in. I can't say enough about how comfortable they made me feel and at ease I was when I came up."

Murphy is aware of the type of player he is, and fully understands his strengths and weakness. Fielding is considered to be a weakness for Murphy, and he is well aware: "It's something you have to work on. Now my job is to get as crisp and consistent in the outfield as I possibly can be."

Murphy will be platooned with Tatis in LF again this season (barring a trade, injuries, etc.), and he has no problem with it, "I am approaching it like I am going to play every day, and whenever I'm in there, try to help this team win. Right now the future is a run at the World Series in 2009."

With Carlos Delgado's contract expiring at the end of the season, this might be his last year in a Met uniform. Will that open the door for Murphy or Nick Evans to move to a full time 1B job? Evans is the better defender, Murphy the better hitter. Evans a right handed bat, Murphy a left handed bat. Might be a nice problem to have to deal with.

Source: AP

No comments: