Sunday, February 1, 2009

So You Wanna Be A Pro?




The Mets have just completed their fantasy camp, you know, where older men, out of shape, try and live their dream by working out with former Mets, culminating in a three inning game against Met players of yesteryear.


Frank O. Schaeffer - TC Palm wrote a humorous article describing that although this one week event is 'fantasy' former Met ball players will not let up on their fans-now-rivals.

Schaeffer recounts how former Met Pete Schourek, lofted in a couple of lollipop pitches, giving up a hit and an intentional walk before slamming the door shut with a couple of big time fastballs, and a looping curve, preventing the fantasy players from scoring.

John Stearns who has been a participant for approximately 20 years believes the former Mets are an amazing 200-2-1.

With a chuckle Stearn ssays, “No, actually it’s amazing that we lost a couple... being a former major leaguer it can be tough losing to a fantasy camp team. But it happens.”


Stearns says he has made friends during these fantasy camps over the year, “I’ve made tons of friends at these camps, who I have stayed in touch with over the years.”


For years, actually since I've been about 20 or so, I have always wanted to partake in one of these camps. It has been over 23 years since I wore the 'tools of ignorance', and would love to again sometime. One problem, although I think I am as athletic as I was when I was in my teens and twenties, truth be told I am not in my teens and twenties...not by a long shot.

2 comments:

Long Island Met Fan said...

I would love to go to fantasy camp 1 year but I know I would be carried out on a gurney.

metsfan73 said...

I hear ya. I'd make one throw to second, and they would have to ice me down. Oh to be 20 again!