Sunday, March 29, 2009

What to look for at Citi Field/Shea Nu- The day has finally come


Well I kind of woke up this morning and had my mind racing abut all the things I need to do before I start the trek to flushing to see the new stadium. After 800+ days of construction and many updates via pictures on many websites and including some I personally took, the day to actually walk in the Mets new park has arrived.

Of course now we have to deal with the weather and that is fine. As Mets fans we seem to thrive on some type of adversity to make things either difficult or unusual.

The New park I am sure will be fantastic place to watch our team play. Over at Newsday.com they have the 5 top items that fans will love it and also the 5 top things to look for on the first visit. I have to tell the state of the art video board and sound system is not one of them. To me it has to be just walking out from the concourse and seeing the field for the first time is #1. I still remember what it was like seeing the field for the first time in '74. I could not believe how huge it was. It was like a cathedral.

#2 Will be the Jackie Robinson rotunda. I mean the fact that it suppose to be a look back on the way Ebbets field rotunda was . Ii was not born yet so I never saw it. I have seen phtographs of it but just how they will have the large #42 and the words of inspiration to tribute a great man around the rotunda walls. I am sure it will make people hold there breath in awe the first time. I know I will. I loved Shea but as we know Shea was just a structure it was great in its own way but did not have something like the rotunda.

#3 The old parts of Shea brought into Citi Field. I can not wait to get a picture by the old apple The Mets could charge $5.00 a head for the opportunity to take a picture with the apple and give the $$ to charity and I know that it would still rake in hundreds of thousands of dollars! Also to see the city skyline above one of the restaurants in the outfield concourse. I heard they will have some sort of Mets hall of fame interactive. To see our Shea tied into the new field I think is a great touch. So parents whose kids were to young to visit or remember Shea will have something tangible to grab on to when they talk about games they saw at Shea. Priceless.

I think for the moment it stopped raining.... Will there be a window to play a college game so 42,000 + fans can marvel at there teams new home? Keeping fingers crossed
Picture source Tom Kaminsky cbs radio

No comments: