Thursday, April 23, 2009

Carter Atones


Gary Carter, presently manager of the Long Island Ducks, while reflecting on last year’s campaigning for Willie Randolph’s managerial job while Randolph was still employed, has said he now realizes what he did was ‘politically incorrect.’

"We all make mistakes in our lifetime. With what happened, that politically incorrect statement what I said about my interest, then I would say yes it is a mistake. I wasn't trying to step on anybody's toes or undermine anybody. My intentions, I think, were sincere. They certainly were not malicious by any means. When it comes down to it, I've learned from that. It won't happen again. I can tell you that."

When speaking of his relationship with the Mets, Carter deduced, "Our relationship is fine. I have been invited back to several things. They have treated me fairly and nicely through the years. They rewarded me when I was inducted into the Hall of Fame. I have no ill feelings and I don't think they do as well. I think it's just a matter of a couple of things that have popped up like last year. I haven't heard any repercussions from it from their standpoint. I was invited back to the closing and was honored to be a part of that.''

Carter, who during his playing career bothered teammates by always looking to be quoted or photographed, was a tremendous player, and has shown he can manage as well. He also went on to say that he inquired about the open managers positions with both the Mariners and Brewers, but at that time, both teams had another candidate in mind. As Carter said, "It's sometimes a chess game and just being in the right place at the right time.''


No comments: