Saturday, November 14, 2009

A No Brainer



-->
Edgardo Alfonzo, my favorite Met from the 1990's and early 2000's (A Fan's Fond Memory June 19, 2008) is looking for a utility position in the Major Leagues. Better yet, he has made it known he would love for it to be with the Mets. In fact, Alfonzo says, “My dream is to retire with the Mets colors,that’s my dream. That’s what I’m praying for, maybe it will happen, maybe not, but dreams sometimes come true, you know.”
Alfonzo has so much of what this team is lacking. He is a brilliant baseball mind; rarely saw him make a mental mistake, which not one present Met can claim. As I stated in the above link:
'This player was the most selfless player I can remember, showed shades of brilliance, power, versatility, and was the classiest individual on a talented team. The classiest Met I have ever had the pleasure of watching, day in and day out - Edgardo Antonio Alfonzo.'
'That all being said, Alfonzo was, other than Keith Hernandez and Rusty Staub, the smartest ball player to have worn a Met uniform. I never witnessed him make a "dumb" mistake. He always knew what to do in any given situation.'
I have always stated that Alfonzo would make an outstanding coach someday. He would be able to help not only the Latin players, but all players. To have him retire a Met, and maybe someday work his way through the coaching ranks would not only benefit the Mets fans who adored this guy, but by all means would benefit this team that so frequently makes mistakes in their decision making process when it comes to management of this organization.
How can't you believe that Fonzie couldn't help Wright, who suffered through a miserable year? Alfonzo might be able to tutor him in leadership, hitting with two strikes, and hitting in clutch situations.
Jose Reyes? There is no way Edgardo can't help the often day dreaming Reyes. I'm sure Alfonzo would come cheaper than Alex Cora, and might be a more helpful influence to this team. No knock against Cora, I think he was one of very few bright spots for the Mets this year, but he is no Fonzie.
For a man that showed nothing but class, respect and professionalism, it is time for the Mets to honor one of their own before his playing days are done. Alfonzo, who is listed at 36, is three days younger than Johnny Damon, and only a year older than Derek Jeter, is deserving of that.
He won comeback player of the year for the Venezuelan Winter League last year. He still has "some game" left.
“I’m prepared for anything. Baseball is the one thing in my life that I know how to do. I don’t expect to play every day, but I feel I can help anytime. I can say many things with my mouth, but I have to prove it.”
If this isn't a guy that can help this team learn how to win, there isn't one out there. Time for the Mets to bring home one of our own.

2 comments:

Long Island Met Fan said...

if he can get a coaching job with the Mets I am all for it but he hit .136 last year in Japan..He is done as a player.

metsfan73 said...

I would offer him an invite to Spring Training, and let him earn his way onto the team. If he makes the team, great, but if not, offer him positions within the organization; as a coach in low level minors, maybe as a ambassador for Latin players, as a coach in their new facility in the DR.

If the Mets offered him a one year contract, incentive laden, I think he could help not only on the field, but in some intangible ways. Don't you think he could be a big help to Wright and Reyes? Especially Reyes? I do, and it might be worth a spot on the 25 man roster.