Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Jason Bay sit down with reporters today

Jason Bay is in the house and he already had a sit down with reporters on arriving at PSL today.

Some snippets below.

You're going from probably the best righthanded-hitting park in baseball to Citi Field. Thoughts?


"I honestly never gave a ballpark any second thought. Nor geographically. A lot of people had me pegged as a West Coast guy. I obviously live in Seattle. You get a chance, if you're lucky, to be a free agent once or twice in your lifetime. Why are you going to limit yourself to a ballpark or a city? I don't really think that's very productive. I played in Pittsburgh. It's not PETCO (in San Diego) by any means, but it's definitely Fenway over in left field, either. I'm confident with myself. At the end of the day, I try to get on base and I try to knock in runs. If you knock in 100 runs with 10 home runs, so be it. That's by no means my plan. I just don't really think the park factor, especially after one year, it's taken a lot of criticism, but I think you need to give it more time to really feel it out. Never once did it really have any bearings on my feelings at all"

You've played at least 145 games a season since 2005. Are you surprised health issues were raised?

"There are some differing opinions once again. I think the proof is in the pudding. You just go out there and play. Those are the things that everybody says you set goals for yourself. I don't set numerical goals, but every year I set out to play in as many games as I can, because I feel if I do that the numbers will be there."

Anything bother you during free agency?

"It didn't really bother me. The only thing, and I don't read barely anything just because there is so much out there. Peter Gammons' Beirut comment didn't really sit well with me only because I never talked to Peter Gammons. If it had been portrayed as that was his opinion, fine by me. But it was portrayed as he had some inside scoop. I didn't think it was fair


Love to here a rebuttal from Gammons. Check out the entire Q&A including a pretty useless question over at
Jason Bay Q&A over at Adam Rubins' blog

No comments: