Thursday, February 25, 2010

Rod Barajas arrives in Met camp. Wearing Carlos Delgado's 21

Mets wasted no time moving past Mr Delgado. His number is already taken by there new catcher Rod Barajas

Some quotes from the new Mets catcher on his first day.

On picking the Mets-

"I looked at the situations," Barajas said. "I felt like with this team I could play, with this team we were going to win. You have to try to keep the negotiations going on with the other teams to try to get yourself in a better position. But all along I felt like this would be the best position for me."

Was he surprised about how long it took to be signed?

"I went into this offseason feeling pretty good about myself," Barajas said. "I've never been a guy who hit for high average or got on base. But, defensively, I've always thought of myself as a 'plus' defender handling the pitching staff. I've got a little bit of pop. I drove in 71 runs last year, which was a high for me. So after the season I thought I would be in pretty good shape. And it was a big surprise, disappointing. "

Mets now have Barajas,Blanco,Thole,Santos,Coste and Shawn Riggins in camp as catchers. I think Mike Jacobs can put the catchers glove away. There was some chat last week he might need be an emergency catcher.

No comments: