Thursday, April 1, 2010

History's Worst April Fool's


Twenty three years. Has it really been that long? That awful sinking feeling seems like yesterday. Was it 23 years ago?

I remember 1986...boy do I. I was in my first semester of my junior year at a new university. I end
eared myself to my college brethren by being known as the Mets freak. Truth be told, I wore that moniker with pride.

I recall being glued to the TV in the local campus ice cream parlor, where they had an old 40" TV, and I persuaded the staff of the Creamery to leave the TV on after hours so that I might watch the game. They acquiesced.

As we and the world all know, the Mets won in thrilling fashion.
The start of the 1987 season we had nothing but pride and optimism. We believed that even though our Mets won it all in '86, better things were on the horizon. Year two of our dynasty to commence in the spring of '87.

Not so fast. It was on this date, April 1st, in 1987 that we were made aware that our star pitcher, one Dwight Eugene Gooden, had entered into a rehabilitation facility in Manhattan for cocaine abuse. WHAT? We later found out that Gooden had tested positive for cocaine during Spring Training, and would face suspension if he didn't get help (obligatory ominous chord here). He chose to enter rehab to avoid suspension.




How could this be? Our phenom is a junky? As I have scribed many times before, Gooden was never my favorite pitcher. Wasn't even my favorite pitcher on those great Mets teams. I did however stand in awe of his miraculous abilities. He had ice running through his veins the first couple of years of his career. Nothing phased him.

For all those young whipper-snappers out there, you have to remember one thing. What we know now is not what we knew in 1986/1987. We knew the Mets partied well, but cocaine? Dwight Gooden? We knew about Keith Hernandez and his problems in the whole Pittsburgh scandal, but Gooden? He was only 22.


I remember being in my dorm room when I heard the news. I quickly ran downstairs to the room of another Met fan from Rochester. I knocked on her door. She opened the door and I remember saying clearly, " Sandy this is not an April Fools joke...Gooden got busted for coke." Obviously she didn't believe me at first. She thought it was a poor April Fools joke. After speaking for a few minutes, she halfheartedly believed me.


My roommate Tom, who was a Yankee fan, tweaked me a little. All I could do is shake my head. The modern day "Franchise" was busted doing dope. Impossible. Wasn't it?


As with all "defeated" NY athletes, Gooden, when he came back, was greeted by the Shea faithful with cheers. Thing is, he was never the same again.


This day, April 1st 1987, was the start of the demise of Dwight Gooden. As we all know, Gooden is still battling these demons
after being charge with a drug DUI recently.

Twenty three years ago. It can't be that long, can it? Twenty three years ago innocence was lost. Twenty three years ago marked the beginning of the demise of a pitcher that had Hall Of Fame written all over him.


No comments: