Saturday, August 28, 2010

Q&A With Jason Bay

Adam Rubin was nice enough to summarize the Q & A with Jason Bay who was at Citi Field last before and during the Mets 2-1 win against the Astros behind Big Pelfs 8 inning 120+ pitch performance . There is no timetable for him but at this point but I am sure he is happy to do something that will bring him closer to playing. The minor league season ends next week so its not even sure if he will even be able to get in a game or 2 with the Bisons who are in playoff hunt. Below are some excerpts from the session Bay had with the Media. To check out all the questions you can see it over at ESPN NY.com

When did the headaches go away?



"The last week or so you go 90, 95 percent of the day and you feel fine. And usually at night a little bit you kind of get ... and we're not talking migraines. We're just talking a little uncomfortable. Enough to know you really can't do much yet."


You think you will play again this season?


"I expect to. But at the same time I'm not foolish to know that I haven't done anything in a month and there's a certain rigor of programs you need to go through. I'm also fighting not just getting back into shape, but also making sure my head doesn't hurt either. You're going against two things. I fully expect to and I want to. I also understand we have time constraints as well. If the consolation to all of it is going into the offseason knowing I didn't have any restrictions, that's definitely something that I need to do."


Had you had a previous concussion that might account for how long this one has taken?


"No. And that was kind of half the issue. I mean, I think everybody has had a concussion at some point. They classify so many different things in so many different ways. I didn't really know what to draw on. It was just, 'How do you feel?' 'I feel good today.' You go through an hour or two where you just want to lie down and take a nap and close your eyes. It started off as kind of a constant thing and over the last couple of weeks it's kind of slowly weened down to nothing so far."


Have you spoken with other athletes with concussions?


"Plenty. I talked to a good friend of mine who is going through it right now -- Justin Morneau. He's struggling a little bit. I've had a lot of time -- looking stuff up and just kind of getting a feel. It's one of those things that everybody is different."


When will you start baseball activities?


"I don't know. I'm just looking forward to getting on a bike right now and doing something. ... I'm so bored, I'm just looking forward to doing something."


Carlos Beltran wanted to come back last year for "peace of mind" with his knee when arguably he should have shut it down, and he ultimately needed surgery. Maybe it's not apples to apples, but is there any merit that shutting it down is best to avoid anything longer term?


"There's also a part of me that if you go through all the stuff and you're ready to play, why aren't you playing? You know what I mean? OK, I'm ready to go. There's nine games left. Or whatever it is. But you're not going to play? It would be tough to sit back. I understand the idea and the merit to it. I think right now more than anything it's more peace of mind. There was a point as I'm sitting there in the middle of August thinking if this doesn't clear up, I can't resume offseason training. I'll be seeing doctors. It's another thing you don't want to go through. I'm looking forward to getting through all of this knowing that's fine. If there's two games left, OK, maybe not. If there's more than that and I'm able to play, I don't see why I couldn't and shouldn't play."

No comments: