Thursday, November 11, 2010

Beltran Addresses Press Before Bally-Hooed Meeting With Commander Sandy



Carlos Beltran met with the press today to answer many questions, most of which dealt with his balky knee, the possible move to RF, or even worse, his move from NY.


On his knee issues, Beltran stated:

"I'm not doing anything right now [baseball-related]. I'm doing more bike, cardiovascular exercise. I plan to start my full training Nov. 15, which I'm probably going to hire somebody ... to come here and be with me three months. I haven't got to the high-impact exercises yet. But, right now, I don't feel no pain in my knee. I'm doing bike and everything that I'm supposed to be doing right now and so far I don't feel anything. When I get to that level, I hope to not feel anything. Normally, I started training every year by the middle of November. So we haven't got there yet. And I decided when the season was over just to continue to bike, continue to do a few exercises that I was doing as rehab exercises. I'm not going to pick up the bat until I am close to getting to spring training, or maybe December. But I know that this year I have to focus on my lower body. That seems like the part that's given me trouble the past couple of years."



Regarding the brace he wore on his surgically repaired right knee:

"For me, at the beginning, [mobility with the brace] was a little bit of an issue. But at the end of the season, I really got used to it. I didn't feel like it was something that was causing me to do different things in the field. I talked to [Dr. Richard] Steadman [of the Colorado clinic]. Right now he wants me to continue to wear that brace. If something comes up later, then we have to discuss it. But, so far, I have to wear that brace."



Regarding his potential move to RF:

"Personally, me, feeling the way I feel and looking forward to getting to spring training feeling 100 percent, I just still feel that I can play center field. But if the organization has different things in mind, then we have to talk about that. I'm all for doing whatever is good for the team. I have never been a selfish type of player. Like I said, I feel I can play center field. Let's see when he comes to Puerto Rico and we talk about it. We don't know [whether] we're going to talk about it, so we're getting ahead. ... If it happens, I'm more open to -- I'm open to -- listening."


His feelings on being a Met, or being traded:

"First of all, the process will be, when they approach me, I have to call my agent, call Scott [Boras]. I have to listen. I know that I have the no-trade clause, but if the team is searching or looking to trade a guy, I have to listen. I want to be a Met. I want to finish my career with the Mets. Right now, my mentality is just to come back next year 100 percent to help this team win a championship. But, at the same time, if the organization is looking at different options, I have to be aware. I'm a professional. I know the organization, they're professionals. So if the situation comes between them and us, we're going to handle it in a very professional way."



And lastly (from me) his feelings on entering his final year of his Mets contract:

"To me, it really has flied. At the same time, it really has been a learning experience in my life. Playing in New York, it really has been a great thing for me. I believe that New York, a lot of people say it's the same baseball. It's not the same. New York is different. When you play in New York, you feel more the responsibility of going out and performing well and trying to do the right thing all the time. Sometimes you're going to fail. The difference is that in other cities, probably fans let go of things a little bit faster. In New York, they are so passionate about it, they are going to let you know when you're not doing well. That's not bad. It forces you to concentrate more, to come to the ballpark and prepare yourself better every day. It really has made me become a better player. I feel like I'm a better ballplayer now by playing in New York than what I was when I played in other cities."



This most undoubtedly will be Beltran's last year wearing the blue and orange. For all those who have taken pot-shots at him over his years patrolling CF, I have just one question: In the entire 50 year history of the NY Mets, can you name a better CF day-in and day-out over the course of a seven year period? There isn't one. Fan's won't, unfortunately, realize what we've had until his time here is over, and that is a shame.

Thanks to Adam Rubin for the quotes and info.

No comments: