Thursday, February 17, 2011

SS Maine Runs Ashore In Colorado


Former Met starting pitcher John Maine has reportedly signed a minor league deal with the Colorado Rockies.

If Maine does not make the Major League roster, he has an out clause in his contract.


The Mets acquired Maine from Baltimore along with Jorge Julio in exchange for Kris and Anna Benson on January 22, 2006.


Maine pitched well for the Mets in '06 and '07 before injuries ended his Mets career.


I saw Maine pitch quite a few times, but none other than game 6 of the 2006 NLCS stands out more. He pitched a real good game, and was almost cost the victory when Billy Wagner gave up 2 runs in relief. Maine pitched the Mets to a must win 4-2 game 6. Was one of the most exciting game I have ever been to, and for that I am thankful to Maine.


Maine did frustrate me with his injuries and lack of admission to them, and it is time he moved on. Although I supported him for quite a while, over the last year, I had been in full favor of the Mets non-tendering him.


Other teams that were reportedly interested in Maine were the Phillies, Royals, and allegedly six or seven other teams.


From my stand-point, I would prefer Maine out of the NL East. I do believe he is done, but what would be more expected than Maine no-hit the Mets in August for his only win of the year?


Sources:
Adam Rubin ESPN New York, Baseball Reference, Wikipedia

No comments: