Tuesday, March 27, 2012

RA Dickey: An Inspirational Story


In today's NY Daily News, Andy Martino reveals information in the forthcoming memoir of Mets knuckle-baller RA Dickey.

In his memoir co-authored by Daily News writer Wayne Coffey, Dickey explains the incomprehensible childhood he suffered through. Those who have seen Dickey and his rebirth with the Mets have always seen him as an intelligent man with deep religious convictions. He is the consummate professional who has proven to be a stand-up guy and teammate.

In his memoir, “Wherever I Wind Up: My Quest for Truth, Authenticity and the Perfect Knuckleball” , Dickey details how he was abused as a child. He speaks of how he lived in abandoned houses as a teenager, and swam with alligators. Dickey realized sports was his way out.

“I have spent so much of my life running and hiding, and I wasn't going to continue doing that in the book. What would be the point in doing that — perpetuating untruth? It was important to me to tell the truth, to be completely authentic. Sharing the pain I went through is part of the healing for me, a catharsis in many ways."

The knuckler also states that he contemplated suicide before joining the Mets.

According to Martino, Dickey didn't even disclose the sexual abuse he suffered as an 8 year old by his 17 year old female babysitter to his wife until they were married 8 years.

“I felt dirty, I felt ashamed and alone, and I felt there was something terribly wrong with me."

Dickey has been able to heal from his difficult childhood, where at five years old he would close bars with his mother, from the devoted love of his wife Anne.

Dickey chronicles his 14 year journey to the Major Leagues, and his memoir should not only be looked at as an amazing trip, but as an inspiration to many.

For more insight, please check out Andy Martino's article in the NY Daily News.

1 comment:

Long Island Met Fan said...

Good story..R A has many facets beyond the diamond..