Sunday, September 14, 2008

One last time in the Upper Reserved at Shea . A day with the cub scouts






Not many games left at Shea this September. We hope there will be more when we make it to October. Well I spent part of the day in the upper reserved Row V to enjoy the Mets and watch my Nephew get a chance before the game to be able to be on the field with his cub scout pack .





Today all the cubscouts/boy scouts before the National Anthem were herded down in the bowels of shea on a hot and sticky September morning . They started gathering at 1030 am I know my Nephew was one of the first in line. By the time 12 noon came around there were hundreds of scouts roaming the ramps by gate E waiting for the opportunity to line up by the Apple behind the center field wall.






Being on the field is an amazing experience I told my nephew. I was lucky to be on it 2 times.



Back I think in 1979 the Mets had a photo day where you could go on the field and the Mets were there behind a rope just bsing while you could take pics of them . Well I was all for this and I can show you my instamatic pics of Lee Mazzilli and Joe Torre when he managed the Mets. For the life of me I can't remember taking pics of anybody else. Well back then who was a star ?


The second time was when the Mets clinched the NL East in 1986 against the Cubs. Even grabbed some grass and it is growing as part of the lawn by the house I grew up in.



Well today was my nephews day. While we waited in the field box stands the scouts got a chance to walk along the warning track to the left field corner and then in foul territory walk the perimeter of the field. When I did this as a 13 year old I was in awe of the size of the park..My nephew ? He was too busy walking and doing high-fives with the people in the stands.


We then went to out seats in the last row in the upper reserved Row V . Wow talk about being on the top of the stadium. There are 7 games left at shea. I'm not saying to sit up there but go up there before the game starts and just look at the view you get. Then if your ok with heights, look through the chicken wire out towards Queens. It's a pretty cool view!



My nephew I hope had a day he won't forget, I know I did!



Of course the Mets blowing the game in the 9th was just typical but hey . It still was a great day!

No comments: