Friday, December 19, 2008

Putz Happy To Be On A Competitive Team


JJ Putz was introduced to the NY Media yesterday. Putz, the former Seattle closer, who was obtained in a mega trade between the Mets, Mariners, and Indians, will set up newly acquired Francisco ‘K-Rod’ Rodriguez.

Although Putz would prefer closing, he said, “It wasn't the ideal situation. I really loved closing. But I'm just going to take it an inning earlier, so it's not going to be that big of an adjustment. I'm fine with the role. Like I said, bottom line, I just want to win. I hadn't had a chance to really do that in Seattle. To come to a team that's built to win right now, I'll pitch in the sixth, seventh — whatever it takes to get us a championship."

Putz, who will wear # 40 for the Mets, when asked how he would handle the NY media and the way his last name will be an open-ended joke, said, "I've been dealing with this for years, I can handle it."

When asked if he got bothered by his last name in high school, the 6’ 5” 250 pound Putz said, "Dude, I was bigger than everybody in high school.”

Welcome to NY JJ!

Source:
Howard Ulman - Seattle Times

No comments: