Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Meet Brad Holt

Mets pitching prospect, Brad Holt, has been ranked the Mets #4 prospect by Baseball America. He will be invited to the Mets Spring Training this February. Holt recalls, “The only thing they have told me is to come in ready and in good shape.’’

On February 13, Mets pitchers and catchers are scheduled to report, but Holt will be arriving a couple of weeks early, “That way it will be easier to get right into it,’’ he said. “I just want to go out and enjoy it.’’



While pitching for Class A Brooklyn, he led the NY Penn League with a 1.87 ERA and 96 strikeouts. While only allowing 43 hits in 72+ innings, Holt knows he has no chance of making the parent club in 2009.

Holt's take on Baseball America's ranking: “I really don’t read into it. I guess it is kind of neat. But it is not going to change the way I handle myself; my work ethic or anything like that.’’Holt, who is predicted by some to be a setup man, a possible closer by others, and a starter by the Mets for this upcoming season – sports a consistent 93 – 95 MPH fastball.

Holts assessment of areas he needs to work on; “I definitely have to work on my change-up. The breaking ball has come a long ways and now the next step is getting the change up down pat.”

Continued Holt, “It is just a matter of throwing it and getting a feel for the change. I will take the same approach I have with making the breaking ball better. You have to keep throwing it, and once you throw it enough and get a feel for it, it becomes natural.’’


No comments: