Thursday, July 30, 2009

Carlos Back In Two Or Three Weeks?



According to Carlos Beltran, "I say two weeks, 2-1/2, that's what I'm thinking right now based on the progress I'm seeing right now. But only time will tell me. This is what I have in mind and I am setting that goal. If I can't, I will continue to rehab until the point that I can be with the team again."


After a week of embarrassing new, this will hopefully be a ray of sunshine, although adding a Halladay would go a long way towards building on this “momentum” the Mets are “gaining” with four consecutive wins heading into tonight’s Day-Night double header against the Rockies.


Beltran, continuing on about his injured knee said, "I'm hitting. I'm throwing. But the big test will be running outside. I've been able to run in the pool since last week...but pretty soon I want to try to go out and run and after that will determine if I'm ready to play games or not."


"(Being) pain-free is not real right now. Coming back 100%, that's not going to happen (this year), but 80-85%, I'll take that. If I feel like I can manage myself like that, that's fine with me."

When speaking of how the Mets have handled his injury, the always-classy Beltran explained, "Honestly, I made all the decisions. When I was feeling the pain, I went to the doctor and asked for a cortisone shot because I wanted to stay with the team. With all those guys out, it was going to be difficult to have one more guy out.

"So I tried to play through it for a month. But I don't regret what I did. I did it for the team. I just wanted to do what's best for the team."

Beltran is pleased with how the Mets have played over the last four games, "… I feel happy that the team is playing great baseball right now. Everyone is going out there and competing and doing the best they can to keep the team in a good position."

I for one will be glad to see #15 patrolling CF again, but as he said, it will not be at 100%. Beltran at 80% - 85% is better than most.


Source: Peter Botte - NY Daily News


No comments: