Saturday, July 11, 2009

What Could Have Been (Take II)...







As you have read



Here and other other places on the web, the Mets traded much maligned RF Ryan Church to the hated Atlanta Larry Jones'.

In return, the Mets received another much maligned RF, Jeff Francoeur.
Not to get on Francoeur, he is a talented defensive RF, but he has regressed over the last few years. Will he find his Mojo in Flushing? Maybe. But, Howard Johnson has not proven that he can "turn players careers around" with their hitting woes.

My problem is: what could have been? Ryan Church comes to play every single day. He is a very good defensive RF, and has ability as a hitter. General Manuel treated him like a bastard child. I have been in Jerry's corner since his first game as Mets skipper, but he is quickly starting to lose my support. This entire Met organization totally screwed up Church's injury (concussion) last year. Instead of putting him on the DL when it happened, they decided to put him on a plane to Colorado. If any of you have had a concussion, you will know that being on an airplane is among the last things you want to do.

Church fought to come back, and didn't play great, but he did come to play everyday. This year, in Spring Training, Manuel showed his support for Church saying that he wasn't the hitter Daniel Murphy was. Church is presently batting .280, Murph is batting .243. Church is among the best RF's in the NL. Maybe not quite as good as new Met, Jeff Francoeur, but is a quality RF.
Manuel never gave Church the chance. I don't know if Church is an unlikable character, or is that he is just not one of Jerry's Kids, but he was unfairly mistreated. Church should have been given the opportunity to play every day; against righties and lefties.



I for one am sorry to see Church go; I am left to wonder What Could Have Been. I believe he will excel as a Brave under the management of Bobby Cox. I'm sure he will be given the opportunity to play everyday, and I believe beyond any shadow of a doubt he will do well. No offense to the young Jeff Francoeur, I hope you excel as a Met, but Church really could have been the diamond in the rough in the Lastings Milledge trade, but was never given the chance.

Best of luch Ryan Church. Unlike the present Mets management, we respect the job you did, although it was incomplete. I for one really enjoyed watching you patrol RF. I don't think I am alone in that assessment. Feel free to chime in.

No comments: