Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Jerry On The Fan...Are You Kidding Me?



I had to travel to NJ today for work, and on my way home, I caught Jerry Manuel on Mike Francesa's show on WFAN.

I like Jerry, I think he handles the media well, and, for the most part, I think he is caring and honest (as long as he isn't describing his relationship with Ryan Church) The one thing that struck me is when Francesa asked what he has learned form this year.

Surmising, Jerry said that he always felt that as long as his players played hard, he was happy with that and that his team would win. What he has learned, after all the bone-headed plays (see Angel Pagan and Daniel Murphy), he said that he has learned that not only hustle, but smart play, and fundamentals are vital to winning...
HUH? Jerry, you are managing your second team on the pro level, and you are just realizing now that it takes hard play and intelligence to win? I almost drove off the Belt Pkwy when I heard that.

What's next, the revelation that scoring more runs than your opponent allows you to win the game?

On another note, Jerry still doesn't know the status of Jose Reyes, and doesn 't know if he will need surgery.

Jerry admitted that next year he will conduct a Spring Training more rigorous because this team cannot have another season of under-performing. The Mets need to make a splash in 2010.

To listen to the interview in it's entirety:
WFAN - The Fan - Jerry Manuel

No comments: