Adam Rubin - Surfing The Mets has some great insight into the General Managers meeting in Chicago. Some points of interest:
- According to an inside source with the Mets, it is believed that both Matt Holliday and Jason Bay will be too costly for the Mets to pursue. According to Rubin, the cost for both players would “exceed the organizations comfort level.”The Mets will look to the list of second tier free agents to fill in for LF. Mike Cameron’s name keeps popping up, but it is believed he wants to remain in CF, and not move to LF. I love Cameron, but this experiment was attempted in 2005, and didn’t work too well (remember the collision with Beltran in SD?).
- The Mets might want to get power from another position (LF?) so that they can stay with Daniel Murphy until Ike Davis is ready.
- The Mets are look for a trade of Luis Castillo. According to Ken Rosenthal, the Mets would look to send Castillo to the Cubs, the Cubs would send Milton Bradley to the Blue Jays, and the Jays would send Lyle Overbay to the Mets. That would “solve” the Mets 1B “issue.”
- Catcher: Right now Bengie Molina is the best option, which isn’t saying much. The next best choice would be Milwaukee’s Rod Barajas, but the Mets aren’t “enthused” about that option. They want to give Josh Thole a full year at Buffalo (AAA).
- The Mets want to re-sign utility IF Alex Cora. Mets are concerned because Cora is represented by Scott Boras, and might be looking to sell Cora elsewhere.
- The Mets are expected to non-tender Jeremy Reed and Tim Redding before the December 12th deadline.
- GOOD NEWS! Johan Santana (elbow surgery) is expected to throw normally during the winter, and hopefully be in good shape come spring. Jose Reyes (hamstring surgery) is walking freely without crutches. According to Reyes’ agent, Chris Leible, “He’s not 100%, obviously, at this point, but he looks great.”