Sunday, April 11, 2010

Mets Show Life In Field, Not At Bat


In today's 5-2 loss to the Washington Nationals, the Mets showed a lot of heart...unfortunately it was while they were in the field in the ninth inning.

In the ninth inning Francisco Rodriguez was in the pitching for the Mets when he "accidentally" hit Willie Harris with a cut fastball. On the way to first, Harris said some words while staring down Rodriguez.

Rodriguez took exception, and the two players walked towards each other:

"When you're in that situation, you pretty much snap and you're angry. You don't think. You just react in that situation. That's what I did."

Harris said he was yelling because it hurt, not at K-Rod:

"I don't think he hit me on purpose. I think he took what I said by it hurting, he thought it was directed toward him. That's why he said what he said to me. And I said it back to him. I mean, I'm a man. If I feel like I'm wrong, I'll say I'm wrong. In that situation, I wasn't wrong."

What went unnoticed was how quickly Mike Jacobs stepped in front on Harris so that he couldn't get towards Rodriguez while Barajas ran to the mound to stop Frankie from getting to Harris.

The situation was diffused.

The problem I had was that Rodriguez, Jacobs and Barajas showed more energy and aggression than the Mets offense showed in the last two games.

Hopefully some of this fire will show up in the Mets game when go to Colorado. This team didn't show up against lowly Washington, and now have less wins than the National League doormats.

We are only six game into the season and it is too early to panic, but this team thus far hasn't given the fans much to be positive about.

Let's hope some of that "fire" the Mets showed in the ninth inning will start to translate into wins.

Sources: Anthony DiComo MLB.com, Picture CBS Sportsline

No comments: