Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Bob Melvin chats with Media after 2nd round interview.

In keeping up with giving the Mets fans everything possible the Media fired some questions to bob Melvin after his 2nd round interview and I wonder what was more exhausting??  Adam Rubin does a nice job by posting alot of the questions the media asked after the interview which you can read in its entirety over at ESPN.com

Of course Melvin takes on questions about what was asked and if he is fiery enough. To me just because he doesnt show a fiery side to the public doesnt mean he isnt - Read below

How did you get familiar with the team, since you were working for the Mets looking at other teams?




"They brought me in enough to where I saw the Mets enough to have a pretty good handle on what was going on, plus some spring-training stuff. I saw the A-ball team a little bit in Port St. Lucie. I went and saw [Carlos] Beltran when he was rehabbing. I saw the Triple-A team. I went and saw four, five or six games of theirs. So I have a little bit of an understanding of the system as well."


Their analytical-approach emphasis has gotten a lot of attention. Do you feel you mesh with their beliefs?



"I do, but they're deeper than that. They really are. There were philosophical questions. There were questions about game management. There were a whole host of things. It wasn't just looked at as an analytical perspective."




How close are the Mets to winning?



"You know, there's a lot of talent there. There's no doubt about that. It's getting everybody going in the right direction, keeping everybody healthy. There's enough talent on the field to be very competitive. No question."



How did the first round differ from this round? More on-field questions?



"Just probably a little more in-depth. Some of the questions where maybe I was a little bit vague the first time they were right on top of the next time and wanted specific answers to it. There was maybe some more questions outside of just what goes on in the baseball field, which you'd expect in a second round. But it was conducted very well."



Seattle is a fairly large market. Arizona -- smaller. You're able to handle all the New York media?



"Sure, why not? Absolutely. There's a passion in New York like nowhere else. That goes for your jobs, too. And I totally understand that and look forward to dealing with you hopefully a lot more."

Is there enough pitching?


"Uh, you know what? Health has a lot to do with it as well."




If you are named manager, what's the first task?




"I think the mindset -- getting back to the confident mindset that this team needs to win and compete in that division. It's not a talent problem. Certainly I think they've just been beat down from injuries and losing some games and that can wear on you a little bit."



You ever hear talk Bob Melvin isn't fiery enough?




"If you got to know me a little bit, and hopefully that's the case, I think I might be able to change your mind."

No comments: