Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Johan...The Day After; Tejada Rests, Dickey Strives For Another Quality Start: Mets Lineup Vs. Braves - April 18, 2012



As we have either read, heard, or saw, Johan Santana had his worst professional outing last night against the Braves.

Santana stated that his surgically repaired left shoulder is fine, but he faltered last night with the remembrance of the site where the shoulder was injured.

Said Santana:

"When I went to the bullpen, I pictured the whole thing. And even when I walked in to the mound the first inning I pictured it. I looked at the rubber. I was like, 'OK.' But, again, I put it away. I just had another short outing here -- again. Back to back. Hopefully the next one will be longer."



Frankly, I don't like his excuse. It was a lousy outing. I still wonder if the shoulder is smarting a bit. Johan has always had the bull dog mentality that allowed him to bull his way to victories when he didn't have his best stuff. For that same player to elude that he had some baggage because he was on the same mound where he hurt his shoulder two years ago just doesn't cut it for me. I might be in a minority, but if it is true that Johan lost his nerve last night, his days as a bull dog/dominant athlete are over.

The Mets look to rebound today after having their doors blown off last night. RA Dickey will oppose Jair Jurrjens this afternoon at Turner Field.

Ruben Tejada will get a "blow" this afternoon, and Ronny Cedeno will get the start at SS. Kirk Nieuwenhuis continues to impress, and Collins has rewarded him by slotting him in the leadoff spot.

Today's Mets matinee lineup:

1. Nieuwenhuis - CF
2. Murphy - 2B
3. Wright - 3B
4. Davis - 1B
5. Bay - LF
6. Duda - RF
7. Thole - C
8. Cedeno - SS
9. Dickey - RSP

Sources: Adam Rubin (Roster); Santan Quote (Rubin), CBS Sportsline

No comments: