Thursday, July 12, 2012

Dickey Doesn't Knuckle Under Pressure: Steals Show On Letterman

Mets All Star Knuckleballer appeared on the Late Show with David Letterman last night, and suffice to say, he was a complete success.

Some interesting points RA Dickey brought up was that a lot of the knuckle ball is about reputation. There isn't much respect until you can show that you can throw the knuckler for a strike.

Dickey also said he throws the knuckle ball approximately 85% - 90% and the other 10% - 15% is fastballs. His hardest knuckler is about 80 MPH and his fastball tops out at about 85 MPH.

The Mets righty said the slowest knuckle ball he's pitched was 58 MPH. The funny moment was he said it was like the old Bugs Bunny cartoon...One, Two, Three strikes your out.

Dickey showed the grip of his knuckle ball, using the finger nails of his index and middle finger just below the horseshoe of the baseball, and he keeps his wrist at a 90 degree angle and throws through the center of his body.

Letterman then had Dickey pitch to him, and the Late Night host had a blast. Dickey quipped, "I feel like I'm in a circus."

And lest we forget Bugs:


Sources: The Late Show With David Letterman, You Tube

No comments: