Tuesday, December 30, 2008

An Open Letter To Omar Minaya








Dear Omar,

How was Christmas? Hope you and the Minaya’s had a Merry.

Now that the obligatory salutations are through, onto business;

First, thank you very much for acquiring JJ Putz. Aside from having a great name for a NY team, he seems like a character with a golden arm. Yes I was sorry to see Endy and Joe Smith go, and as I have written before, I think Heilman will go on to have a real good career, but the deal had to be done.


Second: Francisco ‘K-Rod’ Rodriguez – nice pick-up. I was not real high on getting K-Rod, but you got him for an affordable price, not too many years, but most importantly, with that violent delivery, if he gets hurt, we have JJ to move into the closer role.


There are two or three things I need to see. I didn’t ask for much this Christmas; only that Derek Lowe was under my Mets Christmas tree - unwrapped if necessary (Merry Christmas, Lowe On Mets Radar). Now we are approaching New Years, and still no Lowe. I understand that the US Postal Service, UPS, FedEx, etc. are real busy this time of year, but you’re almost a week late in providing my Christmas gift. My patience is running thin. Right now, we only have three legitimate starters – Johan, Maine, and Pelfrey. We don’t want nor need Pedro back, so let’s not go there.


Two: Ollie. Lets bring back Ollie. This is only requested if we can get him for a reasonable deal, not $15M annually with a five-year contract. If the Mets get Lowe (pretty please) we will only have one lefty. Plus, with only one lefty in the bull-pen, it makes us lefty-needed. The Phillies are predominantly a left handed hitting team, and if Johan doesn’t pitch, and with Feliciano mainly a LOOGY, this isn’t good. Ollie could be used real well in between Lowe and Maine. Tim Redding isn't the answer.


Three: Sign Orlando Hudson. They need an infusion of attitude, and from all reports, Hudson has that kind of attitude. Luis Castillo was a good ball player, but so was Willie Mays. Neither is now. Get Castillo out of here. I will even provide transportation to the airport. Hudson, though injured the last two seasons, has that NY moxy, which is sorely needed.


In closing Omar, I wish you and the Minaya’s a Happy New Year. One way to make this New Year real happy is to sign Lowe and Perez, put a return to sender stamp on Castillo, and sign Orlando Hudson. I know you can do it Omar. You know it makes sense, and it will make the Mets better.

Respectfully Yours,

Metsfan73

No comments: