Saturday, December 6, 2008

Santana Feeling Well


In today's NY Times, Ben Shipigel reports that Johan Santana is not only working hard during this off season, but is feeling well after having surgery on his torn miniscus in his left knee.

In the article, Santana explains that he felt discomfort in the knee over the last few weeks of the season, and by the last game, he didn't feel any discomfort until after the game, due to adrenaline. Says Santana, "You just saw me that day — trust me, I had been icing it for the last two months.The last four starts is when I felt it got worse, when it was really tough for me to bend my knee. But that game, I was so into it that I didn’t feel anything, to be honest. As soon as the game was over, though, I ran back to the training room and got some ice and tape and started to feel some relief.”

As for his off season work out and rehabilitation, Santana offers, “I’m right on track. Everything’s been in place, the way it’s supposed to be, and I’m taking everything easy to make sure I’m ready for spring training.”

Santana is looking forward to pitching for his home land of Venezuela in this years Word Baseball Classic.

When asked how he would feel if the Mets sign Francisco Rodriguez, Santana replied, 'his homeland would erupt if two of its most celebrated players were united on one of its most popular teams but, with a laugh, added that he would not surrender his number. '

Explained Santana, “I got mine before he did.”

No comments: