Monday, January 4, 2010

Is Armageddon Upon Us?


During the opening segment of Mike Francesa's show on WFAN, he had yet another major Met announcement. Just like last week, this one will come later in the week.

I do not have information on this, but I am wondering if Francesa's ratings might be dropping, and with WFAN being the flagship station for the Mets, are both companies (WFAN and the Mets) working together to boost ratings? Again, I am not stating that Francesa's ratings have dropped; I'm just a bit skeptical.

Another thing that has bothered me since July 27, 2009 - the infamous day where Minaya made disparaging remarks about NY Daily News beat writer Adam Rubin, and oh yeah, fired Tony Bernazard - is it me, or has Adam Rubin not been at the forefront of Mets reporting? Maybe I'm wrong, but since that fateful day, Rubin's Surfing The Mets doesn't appear as frequently, and when he does post, he doesn't seem to be at the forefront of Mets reporting. Is there still a chasm between Rubin, the Mets, and Omar? Makes me wonder. Rubin always lapped everyone when it came to getting Mets news first. Doesn't appear that way anymore.

Going on this same premise, could the Mets be feeding Francesa this information exclusively for better treatment of the team by Francesa on WFAN? Or maybe to boost ratings, which will help both WFAN and the Mets?

The reason I question the above is because if the Mets really wanted WFAN to break this news, why not give it to Benigno and Roberts? They're two big Met fans. Why not their TV station SNY?

A lot of questions. As my esteemed partner in crime, LongIsland Met Fan, just e-mailed me, it's like a grade schooler..."I've got a secret nah, nah, nah, nah..."

This entire situation - the Bay signing and now this, reeks of something not kosher.

When Francesa broke the Bay story, that was pretty big. Now, a week later he is doing the same tired act. I hope it's something more than the signing of Bengie Molina. Maybe signing Orlando Hudson? Trading for Bronson Arroyo? Doubtful on both counts. Most likely Molina.

It really concerns me that Francesa and the Mets are becoming bed partners. Maybe the Mets are living the old adage: "Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer."

No comments: