Friday, June 25, 2010

Beltran Debuts In With Port St. Lucie: His Comments


“I feel like I'm in shape physically, but being out there playing for a game, you can never prepare for that. That's something that will come with time. I'm excited to be here today, my first game and looking forward to go out and having the chance to compete.”

“The knee's been fine right now. It hasn't given me any problems. It's been improving every single day. I hope it stays that way. Whatever happens, happens. In the game, you react to plays. If I get the chance to slide, I need to slide, I will slide. If there's an opportunity for me to dive for a ball, you just react to the game."

~ Carlos Beltran On His First Game At Single A Port St. Lucie ~


Carlos Beltran had his rehab debut last night for Single A Port St. Lucie, and was 0-2 with a walk. Beltran played five innings, and had no defensive opportunities.

Last night Jerry Manuel hinted that Beltran might be available after this weekend, but we've heard this before. The Mets are playing well, and no one wants Beltran back more than me, we must be cautious in our optimism. We can't expect Carlos to return to the Carlos of 2006. He should certainly add a jolt to this lineup, and his presence should certainly help Nuke and Bay, but let's not rush him. Even if he returns after the All Star break, that's OK. It's better to have him fully healthy, rather than rush him back where he might risk further injury to an already suspect knee.

Source: Anthony McCullough - Star Ledger

No comments: