Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Beltran to DH Sunday.

Well it looks like we will finally see Carlos Beltran in a game.  The Mets are planning to use the new rightfielder are a Dh starting this Sunday .  this paves the way for the Mets to maybe pencil him in to playing the field about a week to 10 days after he gets in a game.  Beltran has been working out his knee and ran the other day at 80% 

The Mets and Beltran have limited what he has done since he started spring training. According to Beltran he spend the off season strengthening the knee and not so much on “baseball “ related activities.  I for the life of me don’t understand how you can go the entire off season and not at least spent the time running.  I mean the pounding that a knee can take from running to me should be part of the strengthening process  but what do I know. 

The other issue is playing right field at Citi is no picnic.  Beltran will have 2 + weeks to get acquainted with seeing how a ball comes off the bat differently playing right field.  I really don’t think he will have an issue playing a ball in right center or going back on a ball by the Mo Zone at Citi/Shea Nu/GHMP.  What to me might be a little nerve racking is that right field foul area and the low concrete wall that the Mets have closer to the infield  . Beltran is use to going all out but it will not surprise me if that low wall will be Beltran’s nemesis  once the season starts.   

No comments: