Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Twelve Years And Pain Still Lingers, And The Mets Are Front And Center

Each year I, along with an entire country, move about this day in a fog, remembering and reminiscing about the events that took place twelve years ago on this date.

Each year I tend to reveal a little about where I was, how I felt or feel, and my continued disdain for Joe Torre and Bud Selig in their threats against the Mets if they choose to wear first responder's caps for tonight's game.

As I have chronicled in my annual posts of September 11th, I have told where I was and what I was doing. I have also took MLB to task for their lack of compassion for the fans and the men who play the game we love. The NY Mets will be forever linked to the healing this city, and country, went through 12 years ago, all capped by a fairy tale moonshot by Mets icon, Mike Piazza.

Twelve years ago, I was stunned like so many others, but it wasn't until about a month later, that it hit me in a much different way. I found out that a guy I went to school with and graduated with perished on 101st floor as an employee for Cantor Fitzgerald. We weren't great buddies, no, but we were classmates, team members on our Junior High baseball team, as well as playing for our town softball team, Julia's Jewels. The guy left behind a wife and a young daughter, one who is probably in middle school today, probably not remembering her daddy.

Another friend, a guy I went to college with, lived next door to me for two years at school, and was at my wedding, as I was at his, narrowly escaped.

I hadn't been in touch with this friend for a few years; our lives went in separate directions. We started a family, and he and his wife had no children. Then I had read in Ed Lowe's Newsday column, about a harrowing experience of a young man who was/is a geologist for the Port Authority, and if it weren't for the grace of God and brave firemen, he too would have perished. I won't go into details, but read the  link for more information.

We have been in touch since that day in October of 2011, I reached out to him immediately once I had read Lowe's article. Each year on September 11th, I reach out to him; are you OK? Do you need anything? Can  I help? I know it might not seem like much, but my main purpose is to let him know I am there for him. He is a friend, and always will be.

This weekend we will be getting together. We haven't seen each other in many years, but we are in touch a few times each year. 

How does this relate to the Mets? Easy - this frustrating, lovable, infuriating team did so much to help me heal, and I was proud...proud to be a Mets fan when I saw My TEAM honoring the true heroes. We all remember September 11, 2001, and feelings are stirred each year, so why can't OUR TEAM help us all a little each year by complimenting their uniform by wearing caps of the true heroes, the men and women who sacrificed all so that someone, like my friend, could live?

Again I plead to the Mets to spit in the face of Selig and Torre, and wear first responder's hats. Now is the time for David Wright to be the real captain and stand up for what is Wright right!


No comments: